Sunday, December 7, 2014

Final Reflective Post


EME 2040 was a big learning experience. I initially thought that I would be learning about the white board and other educational applications use at school but what I learned was beyond that. I learned to think outside the box. Introduction to technology provided me with a look on how website tools have change the way education can be accomplished.  The Web-quest and the Teacher E-profolio were excellent tools that I enjoy using a lot and found that students would probably like. Learning to create these projects helped me to solve many problems and by figuring out how everything worked my learning was more constructive. I was able to see how important it is to evaluate sources whenever we use online tools and resources. Having a criteria also allow me to dig deeper into a website when using it as a source of information or to back up my research. The internet presents limitless opportunities to learn but it can also present some problems like bullying, information privacy and unappropriated content. All these are problems that as teachers we must be aware of and know how to handle them. Cyber-bullying is always present at our schools, it is our job to identify it and be able to take the right approach.

Mission Heights Digital tools
Lastly, the digital badges created throughout the semester taught me many valuable lessons. In order to create a badge it was necessary to read and understand the book content first. Then choosing a digital tool took time and exploring, it was an empiric approach to technology. I personally do not consider myself a technology expert and it takes me some time to figure out how things work and put them together. What astonished me more is that I am only 26 years old yet I am part of the old generation. My education was limited in technology and my classes were chalk and projectors now kids have access to many tools and technology resources.  It is important to keep up with technology and always seek to think outside the box by been aware of what is out there and how can we use it to make our classes more enjoyable and relevant to this digital era of students.


This is the future of education and as teachers we need to embrace it and be able to function in it.

Works Cited

Maloy, R., Edwards, S., Woolf, B., & Verock, R. (2011). Transforming Learnig with New Technologies. Upper Saddler River, NJ: Perason Education.

Image from flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment